Explore our Articles
Can dentist refuse a patient?
- July 13, 2019
- Posted by: Sameer Bhandari
Medico-legal Tip of the day
Question- Do doctors have a right to refuse to treat a patient
1. In Private Clinic
2. In Govt. Dispensary / Hospital
3. In private / corporate Hospitals
Answer- 1. Yes , in private clinic , doctor can refuse to see a patient unless patient is in emergency. . He has the right to choose patient of his own choice.
2. in govt hospitals/ dispensary , you can not refuse to see any patient as right of selection is not there.
3. In private/ corporate hospitals , you can not refuse to see any patient as it would be against hospital policy. Hospital can ask you to leave hospital.
-Tip – Who has right of refusal of treatment?
A competent patient has right to refuse treatment
B. Guardians of incompetent patients retain their right of refusal
C. Even prisoners have right to refuse treatment